RescueDigest’s Top Picks of essential resources for critical topics in emergency services.
Patient Care Hand-Off: “The Bermuda Triangle of Healthcare!”
A critical safety and quality problem in the United States, patient care hand-off has been described as “The Bermuda Triangle of Healthcare”. Miscommunication is so common that it’s been found that ED staff members remember less than half of the information that EMS relays during verbal reports. Occurring many thousands of times a day and each and every patient hand-off is an opportunity for either failure or success. Using the right techniques, healthcare providers can do more than just avoid an “uh-oh” moment, we can speed the delivery of critical patient care to our patients who need it most.
Patient Care Hand-Off Impact and Overview for Healthcare
- Hand-Off Care Frequently Asked Questions /Handoff.pdf
- AHRQ Patient Safety Network – Handoffs and Signouts
- Hand-Off in hospitals, a review of literature on transferring patient responsibility or control.
Patient Care Hand-Off Failures In The Public Eye
- A Hospital Races To Learn Lessons Of Ferrari Pit Stop
- In Medicine, the Perils of the ‘Handoff’ – NYTimes.com
- Hospitals Combat Errors at the ‘Hand-Off’ – WSJ.com
Joint Commission Patient Care Hand-Off Resources
- IMPROVING TRANSITIONS OF CARE.pdf
- Hand-Off Project Detail | The Center for Transforming Healthcare
- Taking on Hand-off Communications | The Center for Transforming Healthcare
- Transitions of Care Portal | Joint Commission
- Implementing and Sustaining Improvement in Health Care – Google Books
- Targeted Solutions Tool: Hand-Off Communicaitons Implementation
Other Resources for Improving Patient Care Hand-Offs at Every Level
- Safe handover safe patients: BMA
- Resources on Improving Patient Handoffs – American Medical Association
- The patient handoff: a comprehensive curricular blu… [Acad Med. 2012] – PubMed – NCBI
- Safe transitions in patient care.pdf
- Verifying and Improving Patient Hand-Off FinalReport.pdf