RescueDigest’s Top Picks of essential resources for critical topics in emergency services.
Pediatric fever can be a benign symptom of common childhood illness. But what about when it isn’t? When bacterial or viral infection triggers Systemic Inflammatory Disease Syndrome (SIRS) it’s known as pediatric sepsis. In the United States each year there are approximately 430,000 cases of pediatric sepsis, approximately 10% of which are considered pediatric severe sepsis. Of these, approximately 4,300 children die each year, often due to missed or delayed diagnosis. But today EMS plays a decisive role in the identification and early treatment of these critically ill children. These resources will show advanced EMS providers how to assess, treatment, and coordinate care for these very sickest children. Take home the knowledge of how you can make the biggest difference for our littlest patients.
How you can use these resources: RescueDigest curates great research and resources during the development of our articles and educational programs. Since our mission is to “Help You Help Others” we present the best of these resources for you to explore, share and use in your own agency. these resources for social media and mobile technology use by emergency services are no means comprehensive. we’re providing them here for you as a jumping off point. If you’d like more information about individual services you can contact the agencies or vendors directly.
Rom Duckworth’s full articles on Sepsis & Pediatric Sepsis:
In EMS World Magazine in english and en espanol
In JEMS Magazine
Assessment and Management of Pediatric Sepsis
CDC Article: The Need for EMS to be on the Lookout for Pediatric Sepsis
EMS World: Prehospital Management of Pediatric Septic Shock
JEMS: Recognizing Sepsis with the CHART Mnemonic
EMS1.com: Sepsis: Implications for Prehospital Care
- JEMS: Assessing & Managing Sepsis
- EMS World: Sepsis Alert!
- Texas EMS: Sepsis: Unrecognized Killer
- EMS1: EMS and Sepsis
- Sepsis Guidelines Changes Highlighted for ED Clinicians
- Management of the Critically Ill Child with Sepsis
- The ABC’s of Pediatric Sepsis
Pediatric Sepsis Identification Tools & Protocols
- Spot Sepsis
- Denver EMS Sepsis Protocol
- North Carolina EMS Sepsis Protocols
- Pediatric Sepsis Differential Diagnoses
- UPDATED Management and Treatment Guidelines for Sepsis
- Special Considerations in applying guidelines to pediatric patients
- UK Sepsis Trust EMS ToolKits
- UK Sepsis TrustAcute Pediatric Toolkit: Paediatric Sepsis 6
Pediatric Sepsis in the Research
- Prehospital Sepsis Project: Knowledge and attitudes of United States advanced out of hospital care providers
- Improving Adherence to PALS Sepsis Guidelines
- Mortality Rates in Pediatric Septic Shock with and without multiple organ failure
- Hemodynamic Patterns of Septic Shock Presentation to Pediatric Intensive Care