RescueDigest’s Top Picks of essential resources for critical topics in emergency services.
Improving EMS Stroke Care in the Young
Already the leading cause of disability in the US, shocking new information shows incidents of ischemic stroke increasing more than 50% in children from 5 to 14 years old since 1995. In younger patients (under 45 years old) there have been similar leaps among all types of stroke. Despite these increases many of victims go undiagnosed due the mindset that they are simply “too young for stroke”. These resources improve our understanding, awareness, assessment, care and coordination to help EMS provide better outcomes for all victims of cerebrovascular accidents. The resources below explain the startling reasons behind these dramatic numbers, what EMS can do about them and the diagnostic approach that catches what others often miss in newborns, very young children and younger victims of stroke.
How you can use these resources: RescueDigest curates great research and resources during the development of our articles and educational programs. Since our mission is to “Help You Help Others” we present the best of these resources for you to explore, share and use in your own agency.
Our EMS Stroke Care Articles
American Stroke Association & CDC Acute Stroke Care Treatment Guidelines
- 2013 Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke
- Part 11: Adult Stroke
- CDC – Stroke Home – DHDSP
General Stroke Education Resources
- International Alliance for Pediatric Stroke
- Healthcare Professionals’ and EMS Stroke Patient Resources
- EMS4Stroke Education Program for EMS Professionals | Stroke Awareness
- EMS Trainer Toolkit and Resources | Stroke Awareness
- EMS Personnel LMS and Stroke Resources | Stroke Awareness
Stroke In The Young (Young Adults, Peds & Newborns)
- Strokes Can Happen At Any Age!
- Young people at higher risk for stroke
- Stroke Affecting More And More Young Americans – Health News
- Garbled Texting as a Sign of Stroke – NYTimes.com
- STROKE IN THE YOUNG ON THE RISE – USATODAY.com
- Strokes Rising Among Teens, Young Adults: CDC
- Stroke Increasing in the Young, CDC Reports