Five Questions (and YOUR Answers) for anyone interested in Life Safety Education
1) For readers involved in community’s emergency/disaster planning, do you include individuals providing Life Safety Education in the planning phases? Why, or why not?
2) Who provides Life Safety Education in your community?
3) Do you provide details to your Life Safety Educators so that they can provide specific, rather than generic, safety education? For example, specific information on evacuation routes, or shelter in place mandates should a local chemical manufacturer have a haz-mat incident? This also results in standardization of messages/education within a community.
4) Because of their knowledge of local demographics, and existing rapport within the community, should Life Safety Educators assist Public Information Officers at large scale events? If you do not currently include your educators in emergency planning, would you consider doing so in the future?
5) Do you foresee logistical hurdles with including Life Safety Educators in the emergency planning process? If so, what concerns do you have?
What do you think? How does your community address life safety issues today? How SHOULD they respond? Give us some answers (and follow up questions) in the comments below!